Sunday, October 1, 2017

2 Beef Freezer Meal Starter Kits

Safeway had a pretty good sale on beef roasts over the weekend and I decided to buy 3 of them (3.5-4.5 lbs each) to cut up for stew for our dinner and use what was left for a few freezer meals.  Turns out there was enough to make 5 freezer meals and our dinner that night!  We tend to do less beef freezer meals because getting the stew meat and roasts can be pricey.

I'm excited to share these couple of recipes with you because this is how I really like to do freezer meals.  The 10 freezer meals post I shared starting August 8, 2017 is great if you have a block of time and want to bust out a range of meals using different meat.  While that's awesome - it isn't the most cost effective.  I like to see what's on sale and then make meals based on that.  On this day - I'm happy that was beef! 

Let's Get Crafty!
In my previous freezer meal post back in August, I mentioned there are a lot of veggies I don't like to freeze because I think it affects the flavor and texture.  On the cook day the fresh veggies will be added.  In the meantime - it won't be taking up room in your freezer.  That's why I call these recipe starters versus freezer meals.

Recipe Starter #1 (made two meals):
Beef Roast
Cut the largest roast in half and place in two labeled freezer bags
Add to each of the bags:
1/2 envelope beefy onion lipton soup mix
1 large onion, roughly chopped
1/2 can french onion soup
Mix together.  I really like this because it gives the meat a chance to soak in flavor.

Recipe Starter #2 (made three meals):
Beef Stew
Cut the other 2 roasts into 2 inch pieces for stew meat (around 8 lbs in total.)  1/4 of the meat was set aside to be used for our dinner that night.  As I was cutting up the meat I was putting it in a large bowl.  I used the same bowl to mix in the following:
2 envelopes onion lipton soup mix
3 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 can low sodium beef stock
Divide the 3/4 of the meat remaining between 3 freezer bags.

On cook day - roughly chop whatever veggies you like to have with you roast or stew meat.  I anticipate we'll add potatoes, carrots, celery and mushrooms. 

Have a great day!  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Fryer Roasted Jalepenos

Whenever we are grilling dinner, Mark will throw a few whole jalapenos on the grill to have them with whatever we are having.   On this day ...