Sunday, October 15, 2017

Make-Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas

The original recipe is from Belly Full.  My Mom shared a post of this on Facebook and it looked delicious.  My husband doesn't like breakfast casseroles.  I know... I'm sure you're all gasping and shocked.  It can be a struggle that I absolutely love them.  My ideal day would start off with hitting the "on" button to my coffee, pulling the casserole out of the fridge and begin preheating the oven.

I have a comforting and loving connection with food.  I remember my Mom making a lot of breakfast casseroles when we were little and I loved the smell of them baking.  My Mom was home when I would get home from school and I cherish memories of smelling fresh baked cookies when I hit the door.  I remember the comfort and love I felt at those times and want to share the same feelings with our kids.

Let's Get Crafty!
Mix together and divided between 4 tortillas:
1 cup medium shredded cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons cooked and crumbled bacon

The tortillas were then rolled up like enchiladas and placed in an 8x8 baking dish to be cut down the middle.  This makes us 8 enchiladas that I think will work perfect for our family.  If we were baking this right away, we would have put some green chiles in here.  I was afraid the spiciness would spread to the kid's enchiladas overnight in the fridge, so we'll just add them in the morning.


Get the eggs ready:
4 eggs
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup milk (we had 1% on hand)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Whisk all together well and pour over the top of the enchiladas.


On the next morning - preheat the oven to 350 and bake for 35 minutes with the foil on.  Take the foil off and bake another 10 minutes.


The original recipe from Belly Full was for 8 tortillas and used cut up ham instead of bacon.  It used the same amount of eggs but used a full cup of 1/2 and 1/2 rather than splitting between milk and 1/2 and 1/2.  I used the same baking time and it worked great- even on the smaller dish.  My "differently" isn't always necessarily me wanting to change it up.  It's more me working with what I have on hand and hoping it all shakes out.  Accordingly, I'm a horrible baker.

Thanks for stopping by!  I hope you have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Fryer Roasted Jalepenos

Whenever we are grilling dinner, Mark will throw a few whole jalapenos on the grill to have them with whatever we are having.   On this day ...