Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Instant Pot Potato Soup

I'm loving the Instant Pot!  This was our second recipe over the weekend.  What am I loving?  I'm loving the flexibility of putting something in and walking off to do whatever else needs to be done knowing that everything is safe in the pressure cooker and doesn't even need to be stirred during cooking!  I will be called back with a wonderful beep when the cooking process is done.

Something I need to keep in mind when I see times for recipes is that's usually just the cook time.  These are "10 Minute Potatoes" that several blogs have posted that I decided to use as the start to a potato soup.  I started getting the potatoes ready at 5:45 and the soup was ready to eat at 6:20.  Still pretty good timing.  The potatoes were a little too soft for me.  I'm going to try 8 minutes next time.


Let's Get Crafty!
Get the potatoes going:
1/2 onion, diced
6 medium potatoes, skinned and chopped
2 cans low sodium chicken stock
Add to the Instant Pot in the order listed.  The chicken stock should just cover the potatoes.  2 cans worked perfectly for us.  You might need to do a little more, if your potatoes are bigger.  I'm putting the onion on the bottom to ensure it gets thoroughly cooked.  I HATE crunching into a crunchy onion.  If you like to... put the ingredients in anyway that makes your heart happy.  (I like to type out my recipes as I'm cooking them - turns out... I think the onions would have been okay anywhere in the pot.)

On the Instant Pot select manual then 10 minutes.  The steamer should be set to sealing.


When the 10 minutes is up - you can do a quick release by switching the steamer part to venting to release the pressure faster.  This still took a couple minutes.

I didn't jump right into mashing and took some of the chicken stock out so the potatoes wouldn't be too soupy before I added milk (about 1 cup.)  Mash up the potatoes to the texture you like.  I like mine pretty chunky so I just used a hand masher for a minute or so.


Let's make it soupy (after taking out some extra liquid):
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 oz cream cheese
3/4 cup cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste (I only added pepper because the bacon will bring in more salt)
Add milk until you get to your desired consistency

I let the butter, cream cheese and cheddar cheese sit covered in the potatoes for few minutes to help it soften so it could be easily stirred in with the potatoes.


I added bacon bits, more cheddar cheese and chives to mine.  The little lady had just bacon bits on hers.  These were the last chives from our herb garden.  They had a good run.  I'm still sad to see them go.

Thanks for stopping by!  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Fryer Roasted Jalepenos

Whenever we are grilling dinner, Mark will throw a few whole jalapenos on the grill to have them with whatever we are having.   On this day ...