Thursday, October 19, 2017

Cattle Drive Casserole

A friend posted this recipe from 12 Tomatoes on Facebook and I just had to give it a try.  Another similar post on Pinterest called this Comfort Food at it's Finest and I would have to agree.  I mixed it up a little (Shocker!) but the key ideas are pretty true to form.  With baking time and prepping time it took about 1 hour from beginning to end.

I like to cook big batches of hamburger to have on hand for recipes to give a helping hand for a weeknight meal.  I’ll actually be doing that today because I don’t have any left and we're trying to get in the swing of school being back in session! 

Let’s Get Crafty!
Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9x13 pan with Pam

1 ½ hamburger, browned and drained

Add to the browned hamburger:
½ onion, chopped
½ red pepper, chopped
½ cup beef stock, this will help with the simmering process because the fat has been drained.  (You can also add the onion and pepper while the hamburger is cooking but it will absorb the fat and hold onto it.)

Stir in chili seasoning packet
(the original recipe calls for taco seasoning but we had something with that a few nights ago and I thought this might be a tasty swap.  It was!  I would like to try it the other way too.)

Prep the creamy layer in a separate bowl:
¼ cup mayo
¼ cup light sour cream
½ fat free greek yogurt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 small can green chiles (It’s true- I used green chiles from the can here.  I wanted to be sure it wouldn’t be too hot and I wanted to make sure the kids would enjoy it too.)

Get your base layer ready by mixing these in a separate bowl:
2 ½ cups bisquick mix
1 cup water
Stir together.  I needed to add a little more water. 

Press the bisquick mix lightly into the prepared baking dish and bake 8 minutes


Once out of the oven – add the remaining layers:
Beef Mixture

1 Can Rotel (drained)
Spread the sour cream mixture over
Top with 1 cup cheddar cheese

Keep on baking for another 30 minutes

This is a truly comforting meal at the end of a long day.  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Fryer Roasted Jalepenos

Whenever we are grilling dinner, Mark will throw a few whole jalapenos on the grill to have them with whatever we are having.   On this day ...