Friday, April 13, 2018

Eggroll in a Bowl

Wow!  I haven't posted in almost 3 weeks!  Don't worry!  We've still been eating! :D   Right out of the gate - I want to share a recipe I've been wanting to try for a while.  I honestly kept postponing it because I knew it wouldn't be a household favorite.  I took the plunge and made this while warming up frozen pizzas for my husband and kids.  They were excited for pizza and I was excited for this.  Win. Win.

It was really good and I'm happy I made it.  However... if I was completely honest then I would have to admit that I missed the fried eggroll wrapper all this goodness is served in.  If I was honest again... I think I may have set my expectations too high because I had wanted to try this for a while.

There are different recipes going around using the Instant Pot.  I didn't want to do that for my first try at this recipe because I wanted to make sure the cabbage still held some texture and I didn't want the carrots to get over cooked too.  This recipe is generally from TipHero.com.


Let's Get Crafty!
Get the meat going:
1 lb ground beef (next time I will try it with ground pork to mix it up)

While the meat is browning whisk together the sauce and set aside:
1 tablespoon garlic
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil


Get the veggies ready:
1 head of cabbage, chopped into slices
1 1/2 cup carrots
1 can water chestnuts, chopped


Once the meat is browned - add in the veggies and stir together for a couple minutes.  Then give the sauce a good whisk and add to the meat ad veggies.  Cook these together for 5 minutes or so until the cabbage has softened.  If you use the bagged coleslaw from the store - you might want to reduce the cooking time some since the cabbage will be cut smaller.  I added in some low sodium chicken broth (maybe 1/2 cup to give it all a little more room to groove.)
                                   

About 1/2 way through

Ready to Serve!

Thanks for stopping by!  I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Fryer Roasted Jalepenos

Whenever we are grilling dinner, Mark will throw a few whole jalapenos on the grill to have them with whatever we are having.   On this day ...