Sunday, January 7, 2018

Speedy Scalloped Ham and Potatoes

This is a twist on the recipe my Mom used to make as we were growing up.  I remember her saying this was my Dad's favorite.  I think about him every time I make it.  I should make it for him someday and see what he thinks.

What are the twists? To cut down on baking time - I boiled the sliced potatoes before layering the casserole.  I also added some mustard to the cream sauce for some added flavor.


Let's Get Crafty!
Start some water on high to bring to a boil

Preheat oven to 375

While waiting on the water to rise to a boil: 
3 lbs russet potatoes, sliced (I sliced them thicker than I generally would so they wouldn't turn into mush and all fall apart when I drained them after boiling)

Put potatoes in the boiling water for 5 minutes and drain

Dice the ham steak:
1.5 lb fully cooked ham steak

Get the cream sauce going:
3 tablespoons butter, melt in a large skillet on medium
3 tablespoons flour, whisk into the butter for 1 minute
3 cups milk, add to the butter/flour mixture and whisk until thickened (usually just a couple minutes)
add some salt and pepper to taste
add 1 teaspoon mustard, optional (I think it adds an unexpected element that has you thinking "Hmmm... what is that?")

1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, set aside to include in the layer

Layer it up (this was 3 layers for me)
Spray bottom of the casserole dish with pam
Layer as follows: Potatoes, 1/3 diced ham, 1 cup cream sauce, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese



Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.  Let rest for 15 minutes before cutting.


Thank you for stopping by!  I hope you're having a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Fryer Roasted Jalepenos

Whenever we are grilling dinner, Mark will throw a few whole jalapenos on the grill to have them with whatever we are having.   On this day ...