Thursday, January 4, 2018

Ham and Beans - Slow Cooker or Instant Pot

I LOVE ham and beans.  The recipe is so easy that I wasn't going to post it.  I took pictures to send to my Grandma Jean because pairing it with cornbread will always make me think of her making it for us while growing up.  So many of my best memories growing up were at my Grandma's house watching my Mom and Grandma cook in my Grandma's kitchen.  She always has something delicious planned!


Let's Get Crafty! (in the slow cooker first)
Soak 2 cups pinto beans in water overnight (I like to carefully go through my beans to make sure there aren't any rocks that accidentally came in the bag... this has only happened a couple time over the years but I always feels like I've saved the day when I find one.)

Throw everything in the crock pot the next morning:
1 ham bone - mine came from the freezer from the last time we had a ham.  I like to keep some extra ham on it to make sure the ham and beans are extra meaty.
1 large onion, diced
2 cups overnight soaked pinto beans
3 cans low sodium chicken stock
Extra water as needed to make sure the beans and ham bone are covered

Slow cook for 8-10 hours.  Done and Done!

Emily asked me to take a picture of hers too.  :D

My Mom was here last week and we made ham and beans in the Instant Pot.  It was good and just a fraction of the time!  We followed the same recipe with the following changes (my IP is a 6 qt) - about 1 1/2 cup beans and only a little bit of extra water was needed to cover the ham bone.  It's important not to overfill or it makes a mess and affects the cooking process.  We soaked the beans all day rather than overnight (there were a couple beans in my meal that were't all the way done - I think I'll give them extra soaking time next time.)  We used the IP setting for stew for 40 minutes and then did the quick release.

Thanks for stopping by!  I hope you're having a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Fryer Roasted Jalepenos

Whenever we are grilling dinner, Mark will throw a few whole jalapenos on the grill to have them with whatever we are having.   On this day ...