Friday, December 22, 2017

Sweet Potato Casserole - Lightened Up!

Making sweet potato casserole this year was a first for me and I'm excited to share a lighter version from Cook the Story's blog.  There's no butter or cream in this side and I felt like it had a lot of flavor and wasn't missing anything.  The secret weapon here is lowfat vanilla yogurt.


Let's Get Crafty!
Preheat oven to 350

3 lbs of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks to cook.  I used some help from the instant pot here.  After adding in the sweet potatoes - I added a couple cups of water before locking the lid.  Manual setting for 10 minutes was just perfect.


While those are cooking- I pulled together the other flavor components in a mixing bowl large enough to also hold the sweet potatoes when they were ready:
1 cup lowfat vanilla yogurt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg

Once the sweet potatoes are done and mashed, add them to the yogurt mixture and mix well.  There were optional ingredients for a pinch of salt and brown sugar.  I didn't add either of those because it felt sweet enough to me knowing that some marshmallows were  also going to be thrown into the party soon.

There's also mention of adding egg or egg whites.  I didn't do either of those things either.... I thought it sounded weird.  If you're a "must have eggs in my sweet potato casserole" person - 4 large egg whites or 2 large whole eggs were added and mixed in after the sweet potatoes were mashed and added with the yogurt mixture.

Spray pam in your casserole baking dish and add in the sweet potato mixture.
Cover with foil and back for 30 minutes.

Oh the toppings.  We used some marshmallows and chopped pecans.
After adding the toppings - bake for another 10 minutes, uncovered.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Fryer Roasted Jalepenos

Whenever we are grilling dinner, Mark will throw a few whole jalapenos on the grill to have them with whatever we are having.   On this day ...