Saturday, May 23, 2020

Freezer Meal - Chicken Pot Pie Starter

Chicken pot pie is one of those comfort meals that makes me think of growing up.  My thought was if I could get everything going in the crockpot and just have to pop it in the crust and in the oven at the end of the day then maybe I could make it happen more often.  This is one of those meals that I know I can always count on the kids eating really good.

I don't usually put potatoes in mine but wanted to give it a try since I have been reading many recipes that included them.  I would cut them smaller next time but there were a good addition.


Let's Get Crafty!
Mix together in a freezer bag:
2 chicken breast diced
1 can cream of chicken
1 can cream of celery
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup diced onion
1 large chopped potato

On cook day - I'll put it in the crock pot at the start of the day and add in the peas before baking.  I like to use frozen peas because I think their texture holds up better to baking.


Of course I had to put some green chiles on one side to spice it up
(Tip: Be sure to dry them off as much as possible, so the crust doesn't get soggy from the water)

There's a funny story about using the crescent rolls - I had bought and planned to use pie crust.  I was thinking about it all day while I worked in the other room and could smell it simmering away in the slow cooker.  By 4 o'clock I had convinced myself that today would be a double crust day.  Yep!  That's right.  Not just the top crust!  Well... I didn't get the pie crust out of the freezer to let it thaw in time and then there wasn't enough time for it to thaw.  Thankfully I had some crescent rolls on hand.

This way is good too - but let's be honest - it's not double pie crust good. ;)

Thanks for stopping by!  I hope you have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Fryer Roasted Jalepenos

Whenever we are grilling dinner, Mark will throw a few whole jalapenos on the grill to have them with whatever we are having.   On this day ...