Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Frog Eye Salad

My oldest niece graduated from high school over the weekend and she asked me to make frog eye salad.  I remember loving this salad when I was growing up.

My Grandma Jean introduced me to this dessert.  She made it for us one weekend when we went to visit when they lived up in Conifer.  I was sitting at the kitchen bar stool watching her and my Mom make breakfast.  I loved to watch them cook together.  My Grandma told me she was very tired from getting up early to go catch all the frogs for the salad we would be having later that day.  I remember staring at my Grandma trying to understand if she was kidding.  She started laughing and I was relieved!

This is my Grandma's recipe and its way better than the recipes on the boxes of Acini De Pepe. I believe it's the magic of the sauce and her love for cooking.  I like to make it the night before so it has all night to sit in the fridge.  I think that makes the sauce soak into the pasta and be even more delicious.  Then an hour or so before serving - I stir in the marshmallows and the cool whip.


Let's Get Crafty!
2 cups Acini De Pepe (frog eye) pasta, cooked and drained


Whisk together and simmer over medium heat until thickened:
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour
2/3 cup pineapple juice (from the canned pineapple below)
1 egg, beaten

Whisk into the sauce just before turning the heat off:
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Mix together the pasta and sauce.

Add to the pasta / sauce:
20 oz can chunk pineapple, drained (the juice has been used in the sauce above)
2 cans 11 oz each of mandarin oranges

I put this in the fridge at this part and like to keep it in there overnight.



Final touches:
8 oz container of cool whip (I've used the light variety and it works well in this recipe too)
1 cup miniature marshmallows


This recipe is a keeper!  I hope you try it and love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Fryer Roasted Jalepenos

Whenever we are grilling dinner, Mark will throw a few whole jalapenos on the grill to have them with whatever we are having.   On this day ...