Monday, September 11, 2017

Mac and Cheese Stuffed Peppers

The inspiration for this dish came from the March 2017 Rachael Ray magazine (pg 31.)  The recipe caught my attention because mac and cheese type of casseroles are fun way to sneak extra veggies in during meals and serving it in a bell pepper is brilliant!

Let's Get Crafty!
Preheat the oven to 350

I start my pasta water while I get the sauce going and used  2 cups pasta once it was at a rolling boil.
I used elbow macaroni here and cooked it to just under al dente.  Since it was going to have some extra time in the oven... I wanted that time to be spent soaking up some tasty sauce goodness and not over cooking my pasta.  Worked great!

To jump start the cooking process on those peppers - save that pasta water!  I cut the pepper in half and let it boil in the pasta water for a couple minutes.

For the cheesy sauce:
3/4 pound hamburger, browned and drained

Sauté with the hamburger:
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Once the veggies are nice and tender- I added in:
1/2 can rotel, undrained
1 tablespoon, chili seasoning 
6 oz Velveeta, diced


Rachael Ray's recipe uses a Tex-Mex flair and I went the chili seasoning direction mostly because we just had tacos or something similar the night before.  


Thanks for stopping by!  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Fryer Roasted Jalepenos

Whenever we are grilling dinner, Mark will throw a few whole jalapenos on the grill to have them with whatever we are having.   On this day ...