Saturday, June 10, 2017

Spaghetti Squash Stuffed with Mushrooms and Spinach

I've been really loving playing with different recipes using spaghetti squash.  This one was pretty tasty.  I had to improvise from the recipe my sister-in-law shared with me because we didn't have artichokes on hand but we had some peppers and mushrooms that I was excited to use up.  This could easily be made a vegetarian dish by switching out the chicken stock for veggie stock.


Let's Get Crafty!
Cook Spag squash in microwave - see how I did this is yesterday's blog post.

Preheat oven to a high broil

On medium heat saute for a couple minutes:
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 pepper, diced (I used red that we had onhand)
1 T EVOO

Keep the veggies coming by adding these and saute another few minutes:
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chicken stock
(You could use more butter for the mushrooms but I like to save the fat and calories by using chicken stock.  It adds an extra layer of flavor too!)

Once the mushrooms and onions have softened:
4 cups fresh spinach
Pinch of salt

It never ceases to amaze me how much spinach wilts down!  I remember Rachael Ray saying that those blocks of frozen spinach in the freezer aisle was one of the freezer sections best kept saving secrets.  As the fresh spinach from a big bag wilted... this came to mind.



To finish it off with creaminess add these to the veggies:
8 oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

It seemed to time out perfect that by time the squash was done cooking in the microwave- the stuffing was ready to do some stuffing.

Cut the squash in half and take out the seeds.  Using a fork- scrap strands from the sides.

Divide spinach mixture between the squash halves and broil until browned.  (This was about five minutes.)

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Printed and added to the meal plan for this week! These are delicious. Melissa brought me one at work for lunch when she had leftovers. That was so awesome! Thank you Melissa!

    ReplyDelete

Air Fryer Roasted Jalepenos

Whenever we are grilling dinner, Mark will throw a few whole jalapenos on the grill to have them with whatever we are having.   On this day ...