Thursday, April 6, 2017

Honey Lemon Chicken Enchiladas

This house is a big fan of Mexican food and we have enchiladas on the regular.  I saw this recipe flipping through an old Quick and Light magazine from Taste of Home.  (I try to reference where I get initial recipes from when it's from one specific place... but the directions and ingredients won't completely follow the recipes as printed.  I always mix them up depending on what I have on hand or what I think we would like.)



Let's Get Crafty!


Preheat oven to 400


Whisk all these together and set aside
1/4 cup honey
3 T lemon juice (depending on the size of the lemon... this could be one or two.)
1 T EVOO
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder

 
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
For a quick meal this could be from a rotisserie chicken.  When I made this recipe I used the chicken from a crockpot freezer meal that was honey/dijon mustard chicken.  Seemed to work well for this dish.  (Hoping to pull together a freezer meals post soon!)

 
You will also need:
1 large can of green enchilada sauce
12 corn tortillas
3/4 cup shredded cheese (whatever strikes your fancy.  We did medium cheddar.)



 
Spray your baking dish with Pam and spread 1/3 cup of green enchilada sauce around the bottom. 

I like to warm the tortillas in the microwave briefly to soften and then lay them all out on the counter.  My Mom taught me this trick when I was little.  This helps with getting equal filling.



 
Once they are laid out like the previous picture they are so quick and easy to get in the baking dish.  You will want to make sure you have cleared your counter and can jump right into distributing the filling and rolling them up when they are still a little warm so the shells won't start cracking on you.


 
And for the toppings!  We added green chilis to the side for Mark and I and none for the kiddos.  Then pour the remaining enchilada sauce evenly over the top and spread with the cheese.


Bake at 400 (covered) for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.  I like to turn the oven to a low broil for the last five minutes (uncovered) to brown the cheese a little bit.



 
It was fun to try something different than what we regularly do... It also made me want some good ol' fashioned beef enchiladas with red sauce!  (Which we did a couple days later- so watch a post for that coming soon too!) 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you had a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Fryer Roasted Jalepenos

Whenever we are grilling dinner, Mark will throw a few whole jalapenos on the grill to have them with whatever we are having.   On this day ...