Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Everyone's Favorite Chicken - Recipe from my Mama



My Mom gave me this recipes maybe 10 years ago.  I think she clipped it from a newspaper- that sticks out to me because it doesn't seem like newspapers have that many recipes in them.  This one is truly so delicious that I can understand why it was in the paper for everyone to see.

I'm going to first give you the recipe as it was given to me and then explain little differences I do when I make it.

Here's the lineup:
3 cups diced cooked chicken
2 celery stalks finely chopped
8oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1/3 cup sliced almonds
2oz jar pimentos, undrained
1 T minced onion
3/4 cup light mayo
2 T lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup French fried onions
6 oz shredded cheddar cheese


Preheat oven to 350

Grease 11x7 baking dish

Mix all ingredients together except the French fried onion and cheese
Spoon into baking dish and top with French fried onion and cheese.

Baked covered 30 minutes or until cheese melts


Some changes I've done when I make it:
  • We love the textural difference that comes from water chestnuts, so I usually like to do 2 cans if I have an extra hanging out in the pantry. 
  • I'm a lover of the lemon and the acid it brings to the dish, so I usually juice a whole lemon instead of just doing 2 tablespoons. 
  • I forgot to put the cheese on this time and I liked it just as much. 
  • I used a rotisserie chicken this time to cut down on the prep time because we were having it during the week and it was truly delicious.  The slow cooked chicken really added some extra flavor. 
  • I've never baked mine covered... I actually never realized the recipe called for that until right now as I was typing it up. 
Enjoy!  Thank you for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Fryer Roasted Jalepenos

Whenever we are grilling dinner, Mark will throw a few whole jalapenos on the grill to have them with whatever we are having.   On this day ...