Monday, November 20, 2017

French Toast Casserole


Here's a fun recipe to jump start the holiday season for a morning where you want to sit and enjoy sipping your coffee and playing with the kids while breakfast is baking away in the oven.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  I love that it's all about food with family and friends.  I must admit that I've already started putting up my Christmas decorations.  And guess what!?!?  I love it.  I have both Thanksgiving and Christmas up in our house right now.  I don't believe holidays should be mutually exclusive.  If it makes you happy... do it!

The kids love french toast and I love being able to make something the night before and put it in the oven while they are still sleeping in the morning so it's hot and ready to eat when they are.  I'm not a fan of dishes in the morning and love my sink to be empty to start the day - making breakfast the night before also helps achieve that secret goal.


The first time I can remember having french toast casserole was at a church breakfast over the last year or so.  It was so good that I ate 3 pieces!  I've read a lot of recipes that include cream cheese and some with pumpkin.  'Tis the pumpkin season.  I'm tempted to try  adding some pumpkin- but not today.  Today was meant to get a basic recipe going.


Let's Get Crafty!
Spray 9x13 pan with non stick spray 
Toss into the prepared pan:
6 large sandwich hard rolls, broken into bitesize pieces (You could use sandwich bread here but I like the texture difference you get with the rolls.)
Whisk together the filling:
8 eggs
2 cups lowfat milk 
1 cup half and half
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
3 teaspoons vanilla 
4 tablespoons maple syrup (I warmed this a little bit in the microwave to help it whisk well with the others)

Pour the filling over the bread.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning - let the dish sit on the counter while waiting for the oven to preheat to 350.  Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.  I added some more warmed maple syrup to mine.  It would also be very pretty and tasty to sprinkle on some powdered sugar.


Thanks for stopping by!  I hope you have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Fryer Roasted Jalepenos

Whenever we are grilling dinner, Mark will throw a few whole jalapenos on the grill to have them with whatever we are having.   On this day ...