Saturday, December 29, 2018

Potluck Potatoes

These are known by so many names like Funeral Potatoes and Potato Casserole.  I made them for the first time using a recipe from a cookbook that I bought from a school fundraiser years ago.  I really liked knowing the recipes were local and loved that it came in a 3 ring-binder.  That was especially nice because when you opened it up to a recipe then it would lay flat for you.

My recipe has changed up over the years but didn't land far from the original.  One of the big differences is that I don't use a stick of butter and add more sour cream.  I used to make this a lot and don't make it as much anymore, but I was super surprised that I didn't see it already on my blog.  Maybe that's why it isn't there - because I've always assumed that I would have done it already.

On this particular day I was making a double batch.  My husband was taking a pan with him Elk Hunting and I was going to freeze some to have here at the house one night while he's gone.  I'm going to share the recipe for one batch.  When I made two - I made the same thing twice so I could add green chiles to part of it but not all of it.


Let's Get Crafty!
Preheat oven to 375  

Mix everything together and toss in a pam sprayed pan:
32 oz frozen potatoes (I used the southern but the o'brian and hashbrowns are perfect too)
1 cup sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup shredded cheese (I didn't measure... so it might be more. :D )
(Add in green chilies, if you would like to)


Bake covered for 50 minutes (This is if you are making it right away.  Since I cooked mine from frozen - I started checking it at this point and kept adding time until it was creamy and bubbly.)

Pull it out of the oven and add your crunchy topping:
I generally do French Fried Onions but there are many options.  You can use corn flakes, ritz crackers, a bread crumb topping or nothing at all.

Bake another 10 minutes uncovered

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Air Fryer Roasted Jalepenos

Whenever we are grilling dinner, Mark will throw a few whole jalapenos on the grill to have them with whatever we are having.   On this day ...